Plastic recycling can be confusing! Here’s our guide to recycling plastics in Leeds.
Recycle plastic types 1, 2, 4 and 5 in your green bin!
Look for the triangle with a number in it
- Type 1 – pop bottles, fruit punnets
- Type 2 – milk bottles, cleaning product bottles
- Type 4 – frozen veg bags, bubble wrap, bread bags (any stretchy plastic bag)
- Type 5 – yoghurt pots, margarine tubs
Pesky plastics – put these in your black bin
- Type 3 – toothpaste tubes, clingfilm, PVC pipes
- Type 6 – polystyrene, clothes hangers, DVD cases
- Type 7 – other plastics like acrylic
- “compostable” or “bio-plastic” isn’t actually plastic
- Black or dark brown plastic even if it’s type 1, 2, 4 or 5
Do the stretch test!
Lots of stretchy plastic bags say “not commonly recycled” or “recycle at a supermarket” on them. If a bag stretches you can recycle it in your green bin, if it tears you can’t.
Not sure about a specific item?
If you’ve come across something not on this list and want to know what to do with it drop us a message on Facebook www.facebook.com/leedsrecycles