Leeds Civic Trust is bringing colour to Leeds! Would you like to be a part of a city-wide community of colourful benches? We have a small funding pot available for you to customise a bench that will benefit your community – we’ll provide the bench, and your community will provide the creativity!
This opportunity is open to all – including parks, green spaces, local high streets, and community or charitable organisations.
To enter your nomination for a bench, you will need to consider the following;
- A creative and imaginative way of referencing the current Covid-19 pandemic and how the people of Leeds came together and helped one another so readily. There are many ways of doing this but examples could include; a suitable poem, plaque, painted images – please feel free to be as creative as you like!
- Have a suitable place in mind for the bench, with local support and permission sought. (The Trust can offer help).
- Be able to incorporate the Trust logo onto the bench.
- Be in a position where people will find the use of the bench helpful.
- Be within a Leeds postcode.
- Be able to participate in a special ‘Take a Seat’ launch day in June 2021.
Guidance and Timescales
- In addition to the bench itself, the Trust will provide a donation of £450 towards materials to decorate the bench.
- The bench to be in place by 1 June 2021 (unless there are unforeseen delays due to the current Covid-19 situation).
- For the bench dimensions and details click here.
- The local community should be engaged during the process.
- The Trust should be shown the final design before any decoration is begun.
- Where possible to source materials and resources locally; from independent traders, any commissioned artists/makers that you may use to be Leeds based.
- The final design should be non-political and secular.
- The Trust reserves the right to prioritise applications for benches in areas where there is greater need.